3.5.09

The Springtime of My Amazing Luck

So I moved this last week and it was tiresome but I still managed to watch three, yes THREE movies this week as well as an impressive chunk of season 2 of Lost. I live in a house now and my TV has a room of its own; therefore, life is about to get a whole lot better. Now I can watch all the shows that I'm embarrassed to watch in front of Chris alone; I can indulge in my mindless MTV/CW/Old Fox television shows in glutenous blissful peace.
And so the first movie I watched is Happy-Go-Lucky2008. This movie should not be confused with Happy Go Lucky made in 1943 which is detailed on IMDB as "A gold-digger hopes to land a rich husband in Trinidad, but gets mixed up with a beach boy and voodoo." This movie is nothing like its similarly titled counterpart. I don't know how I would sum up Happy-Go-Lucky it would probably take only one or two sentences because not a lot actually happens in the movie. I would probably say "Poppy is an unusually happy schoolteacher who takes driving lessons and makes her instructor really mad. It was awesome." I found myself waiting for the plot to begin in this movie while remaining very entertained. The character of Poppy is intriguing; she is a painfully happy, continuous joke maker who dresses very eccentrically and has many awkward encounters. At first I couldn't stand her and then I adored her. Poppy's open attitude leads her into many strange activities such as: trampoline classes, flamenco dance class (with a very passionate instructor), a late night hang out with a mumbling/singing bum etc. I don't want to give anything away but I found it was the relationship with her driving instructor that ignites the film. Scott the instructor is Poppy's antithesis, he hates everything and Poppy's bright disposition infuriates him. But they end up realizing the most about themselves through their interaction with one another. His teeth are really awful.

This movie is really colorful and beautiful and it reminds me a lot of the old girly comedies of the 60's such as Funny Face. I would recommend this movie to anyone who can handle minute plots because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, like there is a hamster in your guts.

2 comments:

  1. ohhhh my goodness gillian,
    the movies you are reviewing is BLOOOWING my mind.
    i loved 'happy-go-lucky' mainly because of sally hawkin's rediculously difficult, yet controlled, hyperactive performance... i loved i, and i love the movies you choose to review! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like those girls that are like "OH I'M SOO CLUMSY! I'M SUCH A DORK!" you know the ones that we hate. I'd have to talk to you in person because you know me too well and you'd be able to tell me if it would just make me want to hurl.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete