23.4.09

Youngbloodzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I have a feeling this post is going to image heavy.

Today Stacey and I went to see 17 Again. I plan to cover my thoughts on the film shortly but first I would like to address the feeling of deja vu that was pressing upon my experience of the movie. I began to get the feeling like Zac Efron has already been done. I clambered through my memories of the many films I have watched and then it came to me.






I know right?!?! Minds are blowing all over computer screens everywhere! Who's who?!?
So I have a few words for Mr. Efron, they go a little something like this: *ahem*
Dear Zac,
I feel like I should warn you. It has come to my attention that you are the new Rob Lowe. I know your probably thinking "Right on, that dude has an awesome base tan" but don't be fooled Efron! Rob started off in family television much like you, he did " A New Kind of Family" and you did "Summerland". Like yourself Lowe moved on to make "hot teenager movies" such as "The Outsiders", "Class" and "Oxford Blues", you have done "HSM 1-3" and "Hairspray". Like yourself Lowe dated many of his young hot co-stars such as Winona Ryder and Jodie Foster. But the future is bleak Efron! After Lowe struggled with his drugs and alcohol problems he returned in the 90's clean and sober and DID NOTHING WORTH MENTIONING! His dashing good looks became a joke and he never garnered any serious roles but rather was relegated to the roles of schmarmy douchbags. So I am telling you Efron, you had better stop tanning, wearing mascara, sporting bronzer and straightening your hair or you will join the ranks of Rob Lowe, Mickey Rourke(most recent Oscar nomination excluded) and Christian Slater. You will eventually end up BACK in television as non-noteworthy character unless you grub up and lose that feminine physique!


Alright that's all I have to say to Zac. 17 Again was like Freaky Friday but better. I like Zac Efron better when he's not playing the hot, sexy, rhythmic, tanned, athletic king of the highschool. But at the same time I don't find him convincing as the "outsider". He IS supposed to be really hot in the film but common! This kid looks like he is manufactured Puuuuuurfection. He's so pretty he gives me the willys.
What I thought was impressive about the movie is that they manage to take potentially creepy situations (i.e young version of self hitting on grown version of wife OR young version of self being hit on by teenage daughter) and it manages to pull them off with only mild discomfort and even a little giggling. The movie made me laugh some and squirm some AND I was not bored at any point in the film and that's impressive because I was working up a serious sugar high off my pepsi rootbeer combo.
I just need to take a moment to say that I really love Leslie Mann. I loved her as the crotchety bitter wife in "Knocked Up" and the drunk bar slut in "40 Year Old Virgin" and she was very enjoyable in this film too.
I would not recommend this film to most of my friends but that is because they are picky assholes. I would recommend this movie to: Michele,Sarah, Jennifer, Courtney and anyone else who likes to watch "hot teen movies" such as "Mean Girls", "Stick It", "Bring it On", "HSM" etc. etc. etc.
I really will watch anything but I keep in mind the audience it's intended for and 14 yr old girl inside of you will go mental for this movie.

6 comments:

  1. Oh c.quilty!! Your reviews make me want to watch every movie ever made. Zefron is hot stuff, that's for sure. Completely wax.
    -M

    ReplyDelete
  2. i 100% need this movie in my life! maybe i'll wrangle up some people and see a matinee tomorrow...weekend plans, check!

    (i also don't know what drugs you're on, because i would 100% do rob lowe, in a heartbeat. teenage or now. preferably now, actually. i made that decision at age..10 maybe? when he was on west wing. oh rob lowe, you stole my heart early, you sexy devil.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney I totally agree that Lowe is sexy just just not TALENTED.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. woooooooow. wowwahweewahwah.
    i can't believe you cheated on me.
    WHAT THE HELL GILLIAN.
    jeeeest keeedding, i don't think i would have ever gone near this film... until i read your review.
    now i MIIIGHT just watch it, but only with you.
    so that way i could say it was for critical purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha fair enough. i think i just got caught up on his looks...probably also why he still gets roles; directors get caught up on the same thing! (breaking news. the secret to hollywood success is good looks. who knew?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I do agree that the resemblance between Lowe and Efron is uncanny, I feel very confident in saying that I am positive Efron will not end up in the same drug induced movie-slump. As a 22 year old in Hollywood the only pictures TMZ gets of Efron are usually him leaving the gym; not stumbling out of nightclubs at all hours like most other young Hollywoodians.
    As for the perfection of Efron not being like "normal" boys, I beg you not to crush my dreams!
    Leslie Mann was just great, fabulous actress and really hot!
    Anyways Im glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete