23.5.09

"Grab your destiny by the balls and squeeze hard!"

I have discovered a new television love.
I kept seeing Party Down posts in all the entertainment blogs that I read and I was like "WHAT!? Martin Starr, Ken Marino, Jane Lynch and Lizzy Caplan all on one show?!"
This show has 3 creators from Veronica Mars which I loved a lot and it is also created by Paul Rudd who is both hilarious and adorable. Lizzy Caplan is my latest girl crush so she grabbed my attention right away, who thought she had that much hotness under all that crummy make up and hair in Mean Girls?? I loved her in True Blood so I was excited that I was going to be seeing her on the regular again. She is so hot and sarcastic, she is like the Janeane Garofalo Version 2.0. Ryan Hansen and Ken Marino were both in Veronica Mars and they were fantastically funny assholes. I don't know who didn't love Martin Starr as Bill Haverchuck in Freaks and Geeks, he plays a scrawny mouth breathing nerd with magnified glazed over eyes so well, Who didn't go to school with at least one of these guys?! I'm pretty sure Jane Lynch is my spirit animal because I have been seeing her EVERYWHERE. She is so tall and awkward with her huge hips and manish voice, she always plays that "40 years young" character so well.
The show features the Party Down Catering Crew. In the first episode already odd ensemble staff is joined by Henry, an unsuccessful actor who has lost his joix de vie and resigned himself to a live of servitude and misery. The rest of the crew consists of people trying to make it into various positions in the "biz". Lynch is an unsuccessful actress with many life lessons to depart to her young hopeful co-workers, Hansen is a young dumb narcissist who is constantly at war with Roman (played by Starr) who is a "hard core" sci-fi writer who has written 2 books...or 4 halves of books. Caplan is a aspiring comedian who constantly fights with her husband and suffers the many let downs of life in LA. The cherry on the sundae is Marino as the manager, he is a recovered drug addict/alcoholic who is trying to keep his life in order so he can follow his dreams of one day opening a "Soup 'R Crackers" franchise restaurant.
This show is fucking genius. It takes all of the elements that make uncanny shows such as Arrested Development, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Office and adds some crude(er) humor, nudity, cussing, graphic sex and frequent substance abuse, to make one fucking potent comedy show.

1 comment:

  1. i've been seeing this show all over the torrent sites and tv blogs i frequent. i'll check it out...if you check chuck out...

    ReplyDelete