17.3.09

The Spectral Figure of Miss Havisham

I haven't complete my thoughts on "Watchmen" I'm not sure if I ever will. I hastily read most of the book and have left the last two chapters untouched for almost a week now. I have so much to say but I feel as though the moment has passed.
And I've been working on my "Virgin Suicides" paper for my directed study. I know that just about every girl born in or around the 80's loves the film but I believe that so much is missed when people watch it. Reading the book brings so much more to light especially considering how faithful Coppola was to Eugenide's work. There is so much about the psychology of Suburbia, memory, desire, youth, voyeurism, myth, legend, race, religion. I want to write several papers about the film/book but alas I can write only one. Aside from all the layers is Sofia Coppola's brilliant, beautiful, dreamy film making, she definitely is one of my big heroes. I mean who wouldn't adore a woman who has: been in a Sonic Youth video, directed 3 kick ass feature length films, has her own clothing line in Japan, and best of all has her own reasonably priced Sofia Rose wine which can be purchased bottled or canned.





What can I say? Sofia is the reason I get up in the morning.


"We felt the imprisonment of being a girl, the way it made your mind active and dreamy, and how you ended up knowing which colors went together. We knew that the girls were our twins, that we all existed in space like animals with identical skins, and that they knew everything about us though we couldn't fathom them at all. We knew, finally, that the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love and even death, and that our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them." -Jeffrey Eugenides

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I found your blog, and now I am reading it.

    I recently read the Virgin Suicides and watched the movie, both for the first time. I loved the book and drank it in. It was one of those reads where you just don't put it down, and I hadn't read a book like that in a while, it was amazing.

    Although I also enjoyed the film, and it followed the book almost exactly, right down the the dialogue, I just didn't feel that it captured what Eugenides had written. I hate thinking of myself as a book snob, but it really was better.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete