23.2.09

For those of us who still watch the Oscars...

Alright,
So I have not "blogged" since I was like 16 so this is a little odd for me. I thought I would begin with my most mind blowing, life altering experience; I am obviously speaking of the 2009 Oscars.

First off, the set of the event was amazing. It filled me with pure gid to see the old style stage and seating and those crystal lighted color changing curtains warmed my little heart. The set up of the band and the up close, intimate seating of all the guests was exactly how it used to be back in the 40's, Marlene Dietrich in Blonde Venus comes to mind. sigh.

Second, Miley Cyrus' dress was the most hideous blingy unflattering garment I have ever laid eyes on. She also said she hoped next year she would be accepting an award...for the Hannah Montana movie? If Miley Cyrus ever wins an Academy Award I will throw myself off the Agassiz bridge.

Thirdly, Kate Winslet's acceptance speech was really good, she seemed genuine and I like her teeth. Sean Penn was creative when he called the Academy "commie homo lovers" but I think he effectively got his point across.

Fourth, Fourthly? I know the Oscars are undergoing some reconstruction as they have lost ratings in previous years and I support the efforts but the whole welcoming to the fold by previous winners was sappy. I like the film clips, I miss the film clips. I like watching movies all year long and trying to guess which clip they are going to show at the Oscars. I especially wanted a clip of "Doubt" because I have heard NOTHING about this movie prior to the show. Thats what I get for living in the Fraser Valley I suppose.

Now I must return to studying South African Contemporary Art History, I get tired just saying the course title. Boourns.

Fifth, Hugh Jackman was enjoyable as the Emcee of the evening. The musical bit was unexpected and I liked the crummy "recession" sets. I also liked that he made a stab at himself for his failure to garner a nomination for "Australia".

Sixth, 6. Ben Stiller's Joaquin impression made me giggle.
Sometimes you need to laugh to keep from dieing inside, oh Joaquin.













7. I thought "Slumdog Millionaire" deserved to win EVERYTHING it was nominated for (except for that one catagory i never pay attention to). I loved the movie, I was glad it came out when it did because the Oscars were looking pretty drab to me. I did love "Milk" but "Slumdog" usurped all that love. Danny Boyle is my hero.

1 comment:

  1. Joaquin. I don't think anyone else has the power to alienate so many people at once.

    ReplyDelete