19.11.10

Snow can wait, I forgot my mittens

Lately I've been feeling as though I have little to look forward to, particularly in a film realm. None of the releases lately have managed to illicit even an eyebrow raise from me. Today I decided that enough is enough and perused the apple trailers for some gooduns. I sorted through all the crap and came out with a few gems that tickled my fancy.
In no particular order...
Jane Eyre- March 2011
I really enjoyed reading Jane Eyre and I thought I was going to be bored out of my mind. Without giving too much away, I enjoyed the creepiness of the book. Essentially I'm referring to the "eeriness" of Mr. Rochester's house and his situation. I also rather like Mia Wishaiodahfoafaosfwhatsherface from Alice in Wonderland(though i detested that movie). I think she may turn out to be somewhat brilliant at acting. Dame Judi Dench is always a treat and I've loved Jamie Bell ever since Billy Elliott.

All Good Things- Dec 3
My life has been seriously lacking in Kirsten Dunst these past few years and I'm sure many will agree. The Virgin Suicides and Marie Antoinette are two films I adore and watch regularly to get my Dunst on. Also included would be Strike (Alternately titled All I Wanna Do, Interview with the Vampire and Eternal Sunshine). (and when I'm feeling super 13 again, Bring It On and Crazy/Beautiful). Pair this snaggle toothed honey with the ever puppy dog eyed Ryan Gosling and you have yourself a intrigued and slightly aroused Gillian. All perversions aside, this coupling should be just as awesome as the Levitt/Deschanel duo earlier in the year. This movie looks well filmed and riveting. It had me at "Based on true events".

Tron-Dec 17
I don't think I need to explain this one. It's not so much that I WANT to see it, I feel as though I HAVE TO. Too many hours spent watching Tron in high school getting squiffy to not give this next round a go.

Sucker Punch- March 2011

I'm a total sucker for these gritty overly gray HD nerd baiters. You're never quite sure if the depiction of women is supposed to be empowering or completely exploitative, though your always sort of leaning towards the latter. (and when you're really honest with yourself you kinda just don't care). My favorite part of Sin City was the team of badass hookers so I imagine this film sort of being a veritable "Badass Team of Hookers Big Day Out" sort of flick. I also saw copious amounts of dragons, swords, samurais, bewbs, fishnets, guns, explosions, fire and fighter planes so I feel as though my hands are somewhat tied on this one. I'm in, I'm in, I'm so freaking innnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Biutiful

Another movie from Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, who is kind of a big deal, having directed and produced 21 Grams, Amores Perros and Babel. I can't really explain what makes me want to see this movie, other than my undying love for Javier Bardem (I'm a sucker for a roman nose). I feel like the synopsis on IMDB is sort vague "This is a story of a man in free fall. On the road to redemption, darkness lights his way. Connected with the afterlife, Uxbal is a tragic hero and father of two who's sensing the danger of death. He struggles with a tainted reality and a fate that works against him in order to forgive, for love, and forever." as is the trailer but in all the right ways that make me want to see it. I love those multiple seemingly disconnected plot lines  and I'm especially stoked when they all come together in the end. (Crash 2004, amiright?)


Blue Valentine
I've been eagerly awaiting this movie since it was the talk of Sundance a million years ago (I am prone to exaggeration). Michelle Williams has come a long way since her days on Dawson's Creek, as has Ryan Gosling since his stints on Breaker High and Hercules. (Now if only Jimmy would hit it big) These two have been busting their little acting chops for a while now and they both seem to favor the smaller indie flicks over the blockbusters; I appreciate the actors who don't just choose the path of least resistance.

This is probably the movie I'm most excited for so I wish they would stop teasing me with the freaking COMING SOON at the end of the trailer. WHEN BLUE VALENTINE?? WHEN?!?!?!?

Restless
I love Gus Van Sant. Sometimes he has a tendency to drag on a scene to the point of pretentiousness (Eff yew Last Days) but My Own Private Idaho, Drugstore Cowboy, Good Will Hunting, Elephant and Milk are some of my absolute favorite movies. I didn't love Paranoid Park but I did love this scene of skating the fullpipe.

Anyways, Mia Witiahsiodwhatsherface really is on a role this year, this film looks really awesome, sort of sad and oddly coherent for a van sant movie.


Black Swan

I'm really just sort of interested in seeing Natalie Portman go batshit crazy. It looks confusing, crazy and a little sexy?

Never Let Me Go
I'm not entirely sure what this is about but my cousin Erika told me to watch and I do what she tells me because she is freaking rad. Also I really love Carey Mulligan.

Also Mark Romanek directed One Hour Photo and that film was pretty oddball and awesome so I'm psyched.
Anyways, there you have it. I feel like my life has purpose again.

No comments:

Post a Comment