2.10.09

Alternative to what?!



I'm pretty sure Drew Barrymore was my first celebrity crush. It didn't start with E.T as one would expect since that movie came out about three years before I was born but it was her role as Lily in Bad Girls that really sparked my love. I have always been easily enchanted by powerful, domineering women so it was natural that I would love a film featuring a group of cowgirls kicking ass, robbing banks and making their way in the world (this was also during a period of serious horse adoration). Lily was the most vivacious as she was the most fiery and she drank like a sailor and even wore pants. And so clamored to watch Drew's follow up films such as Boys on the Side and Mad Love. She was the perfect combination of sweetness and rebellion. I loved her past her wild child phase and into her America's darling phase when she made films such as: The Wedding Singer, Never Been Kissed, Ever After and 50 First Dates. I never thought she was especially talented, just really likable.


So naturally when it came time for her directorial debut, I saw the first matinee of the day (12pm) and even passed on the cheap Abbotsford theater to see the film in style, I went big time with the Langley Colossus. My companion for the day was the ever so delightful and charming Stacey. We had both most recently seen Jennifer's Body and I couldn't think of a better film to follow that up with than Whip It. Seeing these films back to back makes me feel like I'm in a twenty four hour (what's the opposite of a sausage fest?), I'm going to be crass and go ahead and call it a pussy party. Drew was definitely more than adequate as a director. She must have been taking notes during all her years producing with her production company, Flower Films because nothing about this movie felt rookie. The plot flowed seamlessly, which is an accomplishment because there are several smaller stories within the larger story. Ellen Page shed her sarcastic quippy wit from Juno and Hard Candy and was just absolutely charming in a vulnerable sort of way.
Barrymore make a damn fine sports movie. I was wondering if the roller derby aspect of this film would be a snore, since who really knows much about the sport prior to going into the film. But you are totally drawn in along with Page's character and you may find yourself leaning increasingly forward in your seat during the intense derby scenes. The Hurl Scout team which Page's character Bliss joins is alluring with its killer ensemble of gals. Barrymore herself plays Smashley Simpson, who seems to have suffered a few too many head injuries. Eve plays Rosa Sparks, but she didn't talk much and was almost entirely un-noteworthy. Zoe Bell plays Bloody Holly, some may remember her hanging off the front of a swerving speeding car in Tarantino's Death Proof. She was such a good stunt woman (Kill Bill 1+2)that Tarantino decided to feature her, which makes me like him about 5% more bringing him to a total of 6%. My favorite Hurl Scout was Maggie Mayhem played by Kristen Wigg from SNL, who takes little Bliss under her wing and turns her into a bone crushing roller derby girl. Juliette Lewis is the antagonist of the film, being the leader of the rival team and anyone who has seen Lewis in anything else knows that she is the perfect choice for a film like this.
Like Jennifer's Body, Whip It plays with concepts of femininity and explores the relationships between women. I don't want to get all femmy but it feels really awesome to see two films in a row made by women featuring almost entirely women. I find it really inspiring and awesome that after years in the "biz" Barrymore is only getting better with age, rather than sitting on her cash laden ass. The girl is thirty, and she looks better than ever, she was nominated for an Emmy for her part in Grey Gardens (which won three other awards) and she has just successfully completed her largest most ambitious project yet. I suggest that everyone go see this, except for miserable cynics, you can stay at home and judge people on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment